Saturday, August 23, 2014

Mexico City "Summer"

Yes, by now you know that we live in Mexico. Mexico City to be exact. Not the beach. We don't live in tropical weather year round even though a lot of people think it's warm all the time here. Don't get me wrong, we get our fair share of sunshine and a nice warm breeze. We have hammock chairs in our back yard surrounded by flower beds to relax in During the Winter months...while you are standing in 3 feet of snow and  your car won't start. What you don't know is that while you are enjoying your summer sun and you are realizing that those perfectly warm days are why you live in Minnesota, we are here. . . sitting in our house. . . for the 82nd day in a row cold because it won't. stop. raining. 
The saying in the States goes something like this: 
April showers bring May flowers 
Right? Well here in Mexico City we enjoy a little song that goes: 
March showers bring hail, 
and daily rain and all of the trees turn green, 
the moss overtakes our patio bricks 
and you can't go anywhere until September 
because it's so wet that you can't get a bus or a taxi
There is so much rain that you miss the 
April, May, June, July AND August flowers
because you are running to your destination under 
your umbrella and don't have time to look around.
It has rained so so much this year that I actually bought rain boots for the first time in my life. It's raining as I type this but we did just have a 3 day stretch without rain (miracles still happen) and I got all of my clothes washed and out on the line until they were dry! Yesterday I was walking with my head held high because I HAD gotten my laundry caught up and for once I didn't have to 'finish drying' a load or two on all of the furniture in my home. I hung it on the line, without worry of rain and it dried. HA! Take that mother nature. So, on my way home I realized that this weather won't last long and I'd better ask the laundromat on the corner how much she would charge me to only dry my clothes. I'd run them on an extra spin cycle at home to ensure they weren't soaking wet and then bring them to her to dry in her machines. She said it would be 30 pesos/3 kilos of wet clothes. That is 10 pesos per 1 kilo. That's not too steep. So now I have a back up plan; instead of turning on my oven to warm the house so the underwear hanging from my fridge handle and shirt on every kitchen chair will dry out quicker, I will just take my clothes to the nice lady on the corner with the amazing smelling softeners. And she'll fold them all and put them neatly in a bag and tie it. And I can walk home in the rain, with my rain boots on, holding an umbrella and wearing a smile...knowing that September is JUST around the corner. And I'll be able to thaw my toes and dry my clothes. ha! That rhymed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment