Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Am I really safe? Or is it a false feeling?

Since we moved to Mexico City I have been cautious as one should be, I've opened the taxi doors from the inside to check that I can in fact escape if need be. I've held my bags close and in front of me. I've held Sally's hand and been careful about where we walk and who we walk near. I'm just being safe. I've prayed a lot and have had people praying for us. We, like I said in previous posts, feel very safe and blessed in the location where we are housed. Although, today we got a little shaken. Or to correct, I got a little shaken. We took our usual route up to Wal-mart for groceries and a new computer for Doug as his hard drive went out last night. :( Just as we perchased the new expensive necessity we walked out into the parking lot where someone was calling hey! Do you speak English. He had kind of a crazy weird accent and I didn't know if he was a joke or what. But he fast walked towards us and was slightly out of breath and nervously speaking. He aparently is a student studying in the state of Morelos (where Doug will be researching). He was from Austin Texas and was in Mexico to learn spanish and was just coming into Mexico City for some reason. So along with his story he tells us he had just been robbed! He took a taxi from a shady Metro/Bus stop and the Taxi cabi had him put all of his belongings, a backpack of sorts, in the trunk and then put him in the back seat. Well, when they got to his stop (which I'm guessing was near or at wal-mart) the guy opened the door for him to get out, he got out and then got back in and he drove away with the kids clothes, camera and everything that was in his backpack in the trunk! So rediculous. So he asked us for some pesos which we had little of after our big purchases. We did give him what we had left but he said, "give me your email, I'll get you your money back as soon as I can call my dad." We weren't really ready to give out our info to this kid so we just said keep it. Bummer. All of this right infront of our nose, in a company cab car we've taken lots of times. I guess it pays to travel with the two of us, and always keep our valuables on our lap. But I do believe that the holy spirit travels with us too and he is protecting us and we are so thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment