Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Fiesta Mexicana!

Sally has always been a fun, silly little girl. She also has always attracted other fun, silly little girls. In Washington it was Jordyn, Sabina and Samiya, in Minnesota it was Trena, and in Mexico it is a little girl named Tamara. Tamara is SO silly. I first met her at ballet, not knowing that Sally knew her from school. They started out the ballet class as normal little ballerinas dancing and floating like butterflies but about 5 minutes into it they were giggling, tickling and blowing on each others faces. Not the pristine, proper activity for a poised ballerina. Me and Tamara's mom were laughing so hard but yet trying to show the girls a straight, scolding face. 'Stop it' I mouthed. Finally after their noses were touching and they were giggling so hard and not listening I had to pull Sally out of the class and whisper 'sweet nothings' and a warning and then she was a little bit better. We then talked about where the girls go to school and realized they are in the same class. At the end of the ballet class I said, "Sally, you can't do that in ballet." She replied, "But this is what we do in school!" Oh my word, needless to say I was a little worried for their school teacher. Poor woman. Oh, that brings me back to the first day of school. I asked Sally how her first day was and was she good. She replied with, "Well, I was a teeeeeeny, tiiiiiiny bit naughty. Me and my FRIEND (Tamara) pulled a little boys hair." And Doug added, "Well at least she wasn't doing it alone." *Sigh. Anyways, Sally and Tami are the best of friends now. It's been 4 weeks of class and she loves her to pieces! Last weekend Tamara invited Sally to a Little Mermaid 4th Birthday Party. I told Sally that there would be pinata there. She was so excited. We arrived via bus, which always takes a bit longer to get anywhere as opposed to driving your car from point A to point B. On this particular bus (as we were already 1 hour late for a party that was scheduled from 10am to 3pm!! Whoa) our bus driver decided to stop for a pit stop. This hadn't happened up until now on all the crazy buses we've ridden on. He put her in park, jumped out and ran across the 4 lane road and vanished behind a parked truck. I was like what is going on. Sure enough he came running back after buying a bottle of water. I guess he deserved a break. Crazy. So we got to the party at 11. It was in a yard with a trampoline, 5 blow up jumpy things and a big playground for the 15 kids who were there. It was a mad-house. Music playing loudly, Color station and a pinata. Just like I thought. This pinata was a 4 ft tall figure of Ariel. The kids played for another hour after we got there as the parents sat around tables and talked. I sat with a couple who spoke some English but I ended up speaking more Spanish/Spanglish with them than they did English. Which eventually gave me a headache. We had lunch together, various options for taco fillings and beans and rice of course. All of the other kids eat this stuff but not Sally. She does not like beans. She'll eat the rice and veggies, but not the tacos or beans. So I gave her a tortilla and cucumbers and rice. All the while her eyes are wide watching the bouncy houses to make sure they're not goin anywhere. Hehe. After lunch they all colored and played with bubbles for an hour then they announced that it was time for the pinata. They get in a line and each kid holds a bag for their winnings and sing a little ditty during each kid's turn.
Spanish:
Dale, dale, dale.
No pierdas el tino.
Porque si lo pierdes.
Pierdes el camino.
Ya le diste una.
Ya le diste dos.
Ya le diste tres.
Y tu tiempo se acabó.
English:
Hit it, hit it, hit it.
Don’t lose your aim.
Because if you lose it.
You lose the way.
You hit it once.
You hit it twice.
You hit it three times.
And your time is up.



There is a rope attached to a pulley and a guy raising and dropping it so the pinata isn't all busted up in the first hit by the bigger kids. It was quite a sight to watch them beat the snot out of poor Ariel. She eventually succumbed to the beating and spewed out her innards of toys, balls and candy. Poor little Sally just stood there and took whatever candy fell at her feet. LOL. All the other kids know that you have to fight for your prizes. There were balls and bracelets and candy of all sorts. And she got 4 starburst candies. :) And she was happy! But there I was with my competitive side and I ran over and grabbed her hand to drag her to other prizes. There was a girl with 2 balls and I almost took from her when it rolled out of her over stuffed bag of goodies. We did end up finding a tiny bracelt which she was content with. Makes me feel like a good mom that my kid didn't throw a punch to get an over abundance of goodies. But it made me feel like a mean human to even think about stealing a ball for my kid. Well, I didn't actually do it. So after the pinata they played again and then the cake came out.They were cupcakes decorated as Ariel. So cute. Tasted gross. I don't understand these peoples takes on cake and hotdogs. Both discusting. I don't get it. But Sally did eat part of one cupcake. There was also jello shots, I mean jello cups for dessert. They love jello. There is actually a jello stand on our way to take Sally to school every morning. I love their senes of small buisnesses here. There was a guy walking up and down stopped traffic selling tiny hammers yesterday. lol. More power to ya buddy. Anyways, aside from my tangent, we had such a great time at the party, which was similar to our birthday parties but with more Latina Flava and less flava in the cakes.


No comments:

Post a Comment