Thursday, October 11, 2012

Into the mexican swing of things

Her classroom at her new school.
She is the one in the bright pink socks and different dress.
Thinking about eating the grasshopper
We have been taking it easy. Learning our bus and subway system. Going to markets and finding the cheapest and exploring our village. We love it here. Doug says this is his favorite place he's ever lived. It's proving to be one of my favorites too although I'm easy to please. I love our house and it's location. We just learned yesterday that we live across the street from a doctor's office, which is something we needed for Sally. She has to have a preschool physical and we've had a hard time making an appointment at the clinic we found last week. When I asked how much it would cost the lady doctor said, 'When she is sick and you bring her here, then you can pay me for that. You don't have to pay for this.' :)Very sweet neighbor. She speaks English too. We have been taking the bus west on the busy road that we live near to go to wal-mart at least 3 times a week. I am not a big wal-mart supporter, but now that we're here and are living on little-to-no money, it's almost do or die of starvation. Sally's school supply list was expensive too so wal-mart helped us safe a lot. We are still waiting for her uniform to come. That we had to order from the school. It's really a whole wardrobe. Dress, sweater, white polo, white t-shirt, jogging pants, shorts and jacket and art apron. I decided to take her to the gym just down the street 2 weeks ago to check out their baby ballet program and we did a trial class which sally LOVED. She'll get that uniform on Saturday. All of this with money we don't really have but she's so sweet and we needed to find friends too so I think it's worth it. The city we just moved here from in Maryland, ballet cost $30-$40 per lesson. Here it's $7.50! The uniform was like $50 for everything. Anyways, I don't want to bore you with money, it's just amazing how much cheaper things are here. These are people who live in a world of thousands or hundreds, where in the US we are more in the tens to hundreds for daily items. For instance, our milk here cost 47 pesos, which is like $3.90. So they are used to seeing big numbers. Like a car is over a million pesos. To me I'm like Jeeesh that's a lot. But they are used to it. Doug did start working more this week. He had a conference on Monday and Tuesday all day and Sally has school from 8-230, so I've clean our little house and gone to the grocery store. We don't have internet yet so I'm just hanging out until I get my reference letter from one of Doug's co-workers and then I have to wait for word back from the orphanage. I'm so excited I can hardly stand it. I really need to get better at spanish. I practiced a little on Monday with the cleaning lady that cleans our common areas. She doesn't speak English so I have to really speak spanish. None of this spanglish that I've been practicing. lol. We had some of the other scholars come down to Coyoacan on Saturday. We walked in the plaza and went out to lunch. It was fun. While we were eating a woman selling fried grasshoppers walked by calling out 'grasshoppers' in spanish. So I asked Sally if she wanted to try one. She was leary at first but then she tried one after our friend Levi Bridges (check out his amazing blog) tried one. She liked them! They were lime flavored and fried. She ate about 10 of them. I tried a teeeny weeeeny bite but the thought of eating it got the best of me. I couldn't eat the whole thing. Sally saw that mine had eyes and said, "Mmm, yours has eyes, yummy!" Then ate it. lol. We ventured to church on Sunday by ourselves on the bus. It was a quick ride, we did fine. After church we went to the park nearby with fair rides and a huge kid park. It was really warm and sunny. We are getting to know our surroundings and find our way. It's a nice village and we are happy. Thanks for the continued thoughts and prayers for safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment